As reported by MARCA a few days ago the ATP summoned players to a zoom call.
It has come out that the ATP players of 400 were in a zoom call for 3 hours and 36 minutes with a lot of topics discussed.
Not much has been made public. It is understood this was just an ATP call and a WTA one has happened.
The options are still the same ahead of the US Open:
- Cincinnati tournament would have to take place at Flushing Meadows (the site of the US Open)
- Players would need to be in a bubble at the US Open site for potentially a month to play Cincinnati and if they go deep at the US Open
- If Cincinnati takes place then there will NO US Open Qualifiers which would bring more players to site. If it doesn’t then qualifiers will take place
- Players will be only be able to bring one member of their team with them to the US Open which has upset most top players.
Some further potentials which have picked up pace since yesterdays meeting are:
- According to MARCA – No qualifying at the US Open and NO ranking points
- Lequipe are running with a few scenarios – Cincinnati and US Open in New York, no qualifiers and a reduced doubles field.
- Lequipe – No Cincinnati but US Open qualifiers
- Lequipe – Other scenario is cancellation
- Lequipe – If US Open happens it will be behind closed doors, bubble player teams and 95% of 2019 prize money available.
A few days Novak Djokovic cast severe doubts over his participation due to the rules put in place by saying to different media outlets a couple of days apart:
“At the moment, I think my clay court season will continue until September”
Prior to that he said,
“We would not have access to Manhattan, we would have to sleep in hotels at the airport, to be tested twice or three times per week,”
“Also, we could bring one person to the club which is really impossible.”
“I mean, you need your coach, then a fitness trainer, then a physiotherapist.”
This view was not taken well by Danielle Collins…
Marin Cilic had his say with USTA president during the call about revenues..
Somehow I find it slightly wrong a player who has earned over $25 million US dollars in prize money has requested more prize money when the USTA announced they’ve cut over 120 jobs and closed their New York office…
It is also understood that Simona Halep and Ash Barty are unsure of these US Open rules. Darren Cahill (Simona’s coach) has said “I’m pretty sure that (the restrictions) won’t work for Simona”
Roger Federer of course will not be there due to injury but Rafael Nadal in a Zoom interview said if he had to go play now he wouldn’t and doesn’t think tennis should return until it is safe and fair for everyone to travel.
Nick Kyrgios has also been vocal…
A leaked and updated WTA Calendar has also done the rounds on social media…
There are still major doubts over whether Charleston, Palermo, Washington and Prague would take place.
Cincinnati is obviously rumoured to be heading to New York which will finish the 13th of September.
This would then take us into a back to back of major events in Madrid and Rome before Roland Garros.
Once the second week of Roland Garros is underway and only 16-32 of the 128 singles players are still around the entry lists will be fought for regarding playing in Seoul and Tianjin which would run parallel to the second week of Roland Garros.
Following Roland Garros the calendar is business as usual.
Earlier on in the year it was announced that the tours would look at playing beyond November and into December but it is understood it has been ruled out and the tour finals will remain in place on their scheduled dates as the season finale.