The backlash will now begin.
A vote has been past and the Davis Cup will be reformed with the backing of the Kosmos group who have promised billions into the event.
What happens now?
This year will be the last Davis Cup as we know it.
February next year there will be a home/away ties between 24 nations to decide who goes through to November’s event.
November’s event will be made up of 18 teams. 12 who qualified, 4 semi-finalists from last year and 2 wildcards.
Monday – Thursday = 18 teams in 6 groups of 3.
Best of 3 format.
Friday – Quarter Finals
Saturday – Semi-Finals (all 4 qualify automatically for next year)
Sunday – Final
There is a possibility that a single player if they feature in one singles and one doubles match in each tie could play 12 times in 7 days. Will they attract the top players?
The tournament will be held at one event in November with home/away ties in February. The chance of seeing your country at home is slim.
The Calendar is already full and is tough to attract top players but now with this?
Final 7 weeks are now;
Next Gen Finals
ATP World Tour Finals
Davis Cup Final Week
The backlash is set to hit over the coming hours and days.
French captain Mauresmo said more options need to be looked at. Lucas Pouille has said he would not compete. Tennis Australian have been very vocal in their beliefs against the reform. LTA voted against where as AELTC were for the changes.
These proposals which have been approved suit the smaller countries especially with $20 million in prize money on offer but does it do anything attracting the top players?